If you appreciate all that Auburn Heights has to offer, why not join us? We are always looking for enthusiastic volunteers. Whatever your interests, we can find a spot for you to make a difference!
The first step is to fill out our Volunteer Application. A staff member will then be in contact with you to set up a brief interview. Or you can give us a call at (302) 239-2385 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!!
- Tour Guide: Share the history of the museum and/or mansion with visitors who book private tours. No prior experience is needed, just a love of history. Tour bookings are generally during the workday, with occasional weekend reservations.
- Children’s Program Assistant: Groups of children visit the Marshall Steam Museum for field trips from spring through late fall, with the heaviest visitation during the summer months. Children’s Program Assistants help with crafts and other activities to engage our youngest visitors.
- Event Volunteer: Steamin’ Days occur the first Sunday of every month from June to November (plus a few holidays and special events throughout the year). All tasks require a fair amount of standing (on hard surfaces), with most “shifts” lasting 2 or 3 hours.
- AVRR Train Crew: Because the Auburn Valley Railroad team work directly with accessioned collection items (the locomotives), Friends of Auburn Heights membership is required for this volunteer role. Work can be strenuous (but rewarding), and training will be provided. Most track work and trainings take place on weekend mornings, with some routine maintenance occurring at weekday evening sessions (typically Tues or Thurs evenings, 7-9 pm).
- Electric Trains Operators: The vintage Lionel trains in the museum are carefully maintained and operated by our dedicated team of train enthusiasts, who are happy for additional help. Maintenance of the train exhibit takes place during weekday evening work sessions (Tues or Thurs nights, 7-9 pm), with train operation
Learn more about our volunteer program:
Volunteer Profiles Meet some of our team
Volunteer Handbook Find the answers to your questions
Don’t forget all new volunteers must first complete a volunteer application and then an interview (just to make sure we are the right fit).