First Sunday of the month, June through November, 12:30 to 4:30 pm
During Steamin’ Days at Auburn Heights, the site truly comes alive. Visitors are encouraged to climb into an antique automobile or board one of our trains and experience what it was like to travel at the turn of the 20th century. Or tour the magnificent 1897 mansion that was home to three generations of the Marshall family. There is something for everyone at Auburn Heights, whether you are 2 or 92.
THIS SEASON – Each Steamin’ Day will feature its own theme, with changing exhibits, activities and crafts so there is always something new to experience!
2018 Dates & Themes:
- Sunday, June 3: Racing into Summer: Discover the history of automobile racing while you build a racetrack out of recycled materials
- Sunday, July 1: Map It Out: Learn all about the maps, navigation and road trips of the past through activities and a special scavenger hunt
- Sunday, August 5: What Will You Invent?: Test out your engineering skills when you build your own invention out of recycled materials
- Sunday, September 2: Building Bridges: Explore bridges of all shapes and sizes before designing and creating your own bridge to take home
- Sunday, October 7: Trying Out Tools: Learn about the unique tools used on automobiles and railroads and try some out for yourself
- Steamin’ Halloween, Sunday, October 28: Enjoy a “spooky” day to celebrate costumes, candy, activities and fun
- Sunday, November 4: Music of the Road: Discover the sounds of cars, trains, horns and whistles — the music of the road
- Steamin’ Thanksgiving, Saturday, November 24
Don’t miss these exciting days filled with old-fashioned fun for the whole family. Included with all admission options:
- Fresh steam-popped popcorn from our vintage popper
- A Firing Up Demonstration, to see how we set a Stanley in motion
- Entry to the Marshall Steam Museum, featuring the world’s largest operating collection of Stanley steam cars plus a 1930s working Lionel electric trains display, a hands-on engine display, kids activities, exhibits, and more
- Museum Gift Shop
- Changing exhibit Stories from Auburn Heights: The Recollections of Tom Marshall based on the writings and remembrances of our founder, Tom Marshall, about the people, events and unique history of Auburn Heights.
Tours of the antique-furnished Auburn Heights mansion, which dates to 1897, are also available, along with rides on the Auburn Valley Railroad and in select antique automobiles from the Marshall Collection, depending on admission option selected.
STEAMIN’ DAY ADMISSION
General Admission (Rides Ticket) includes 4 rides in the antique autos or Auburn Valley Railroad: $11 ages 13 and up, $8 ages 12 and under (infants free). General/Rides Ticket admission is free for Friends of Auburn Heights Preserve members.
Mansion Ticket includes tour of two floors of Auburn Heights: $12 ages 13 and up, $6 ages 12 and under (infants free)
Combo Ticket covers it all, rides and mansion: $19 ages 13 and up, $12 ages 12 and under (infants free)
Group Rates: Discounts available for groups of 20 or more when booked in advance. For group inquiries, e-mail email@example.com.
Please Note: We never let a little drizzle dampen our spirits, so all events are rain or shine. Except for the Egg Hunts, no reservations are needed. In the event of especially inclement weather, you may call the Friends of Auburn Heights office at (302) 239-2385 for a recorded message that will indicate any change in regular plans.
We accept cash, Visa, Mastercard or Discover. Sorry, no pets except service dogs.
Food and beverages: Free popcorn may be enjoyed by all visitors during Steamin’ Day events, and hot dogs, chips and beverages will be available for sale at the gift shop (while supplies last). Please feel free to bring a picnic lunch to enjoy on the grounds at one of our many picnic tables.
View our calendar to see what we have planned or where we might be traveling to.