Celebrate an Old-Fashioned Holiday
at the Marshall Steam Museum
Sundays, December 4 & 11, 2016
Join us this December for a special holiday-themed program at the Marshall Steam Museum. The museum will be decorated and full of holiday cheer, and there will be something for everybody, regardless of age! Last chance to see the museum (at a discount too!) before we close for the winter.
This year’s program will feature:
- Special Photo Exhibit: Snow Travelers — Experiencing Winter at the Dawn of the Automotive Age including a display of early tire chains.
- Readings of The Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore & The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg; beginning promptly at 1 and 3pm.
- Victorian and train-inspired holiday crafts and activities for the whole family
- Electric train demonstrations
- Hot chocolate
- And more!
- Museum Admission: $5/ person for non-members; FREE for FAHP members. Includes all of the museum activities, readings, electric trains, hot chocolate, special exhibits
- Museum Admission + Trains: $7/ person non members; FREE for FAHP members. Train rides on the diesel will be special for 2016 and weather permitting (precipitation & temperatures).
If you are interested in a FAHP membership, please visit our membership page by clicking here.
Food: Hot dogs, chips and drinks will be available for purchase as well as complimentary hot chocolate and cookies. Available while supplies last.
Parking: Parking is located across the street in our event lot and we will have volunteers available to help you across the street. Feel free to call us at 302-239-9085 if you have a question. Thank you!
Please Note: An Old-Fashioned Holiday is a program at the Marshall Steam Museum and not a Steamin’ Day event. There will be no
Field Trips/ Private Tours: Interested in bringing a children’s group to visit the museum for a week day visit during an Old-Fashioned Holiday? Let us know! Groups can explore the museum and the collections, learn about early snow travel, read two great books, and complete a Make-and-Take craft to take home. There is limited availability so call or email to reserve your date. $5/ person.
This program is also available a a children’s outreach program (see below).
For the Month of December
Old-Fashioned Holiday Outreach
This 90-minute outreach program consists of special readings, interactive activities and crafts. During interactive discussions, participants listen to The Night Before Christmas, learn about what traditions are and how the Victorians started many of the traditions we have during the holidays by decorating a Victorian Christmas tree together. After reading The Polar Express, participants explore the different sounds a train makes and why the Conductor is important by building a human train. The last half of the program is dedicated to crafts and activities that the kids can take home. Fee includes all materials.
- Program Fee: $150 for location within 20 miles of the Marshall Steam Museum
- Maximum 30 participants; Suggested for PreK to Grade 2
- Discounts if you book back-to-back programs
Questions? Email us at Education@AuburnHeights.org or call us at 302-239-2385!