Among the last of the Stanleys to leave the Newton, Massachusetts factory, this car has chassic #24094 (the last recorded chassis number is 24101). Never restored, the paint, upholstery and detailing remain remarkably original after more than 90 years; therefore, we have elected to forego restoration and maintain the vehicle’s original appearance to enable further study and documentation.
Clarence Marshall sold this car to George M. Knox Jr. of West Chester, Pennsylvania, about 1952, and it remained in Knox’s possession throughout his lifetime. Following Knox’s death in 2013, his widow, Helga, decided to donate the car to the Marshall Steam Museum to honor her husband’s passion for antique autos. The FAHP Collections Committee is taking great care to document the well-preserved features of this car. With the original pin-striping and a faint monogram still visible, the car has many stories to tell, and we are working slowly and diligently to record the details that will allow us to faithfully share those stories.
Gift of Helga P. Knox in memory of George M. Knox Jr
Capacity: 7 passengers
Engine: 20 horsepower
Weight: 4,200 pounds
Wheelbase: 130 inches
Cost: $2,600 in 1924; 2015 equivalent: $36,086